Pilgrimage 2018 is a Safe Sanctuary event of the Youth Ministry of the NC Conference of the United Methodist Church.
During the 2005 Annual Conference, local churches were directed to establish for themselves safe sanctuary policies and procedures. During Pilgrimage 2018, local church safe sanctuary procedures apply to each group.
Here are general guidelines:
- Adult supervision: each group provides its own adult supervision.
- At least two adults are required by the Pilgrimage Ministry to attend with a group, despite the size
- A ratio of 1 adult for every 7 youth is required
- Adults with each group should be screened and qualified by each church. It is recommended that adults in supervision be at least 5 years older than the youth supervised.
- Only authorized, screened and qualified adults drive group transportation vehicles. No youth attendee may provide transportation for group members. Youth with parental authorization may provide transportation for themselves.
- Adults counseling youth do so in open, visible areas and/or with another adult present.
- Advance notice is given to all parents of detailed plans and emergency contact information for the weekend. A permission form with emergency contact information is signed by a parent/guardian for each youth.
- Sleeping arrangements: adults should not be housed in hotel rooms with youth except in the case of parent/child.
- Each group should have a plan of response and communication in the event of an accident or emergency. It is recommended each group have an adult trained in first aid/CPR.
More information on the NC Conference Safe Sanctuary policies can be found here.